Senior Revenues Officer - Islington Council. 3 Months with a view to be extended. (please contact grace @ uptown Appointments for a full JD.
A Basic DBS is required for this role. DO NOT APPLY if you do not have this.
Candidates will be required to work in target driven office dealing with all aspects of council tax and business rates. Must have experience on the Northgate system and be experienced in dealing with all aspects of both taxes.
- To play a major role within the Revenues Team responsible for the billing collection and recovery of Council Tax, Business Rates and of approximately £380 million per annum
- To provide and maintain high standards of customer care whilst performing the role
- To make decisions and implement them in respect of a customer’s liability, entitlement to exemptions, discounts and all other available reliefs in respect of Council Tax and Business Rates in accordance with relevant legislation, case law and Council policy
- To assess a customer’s ability to pay their bill, through face-to-face and/or telephone interviews and correspondence. This will involve obtaining and analysing personal financial data taking into account their payment history and making payment arrangements to achieve the best possible outcome for both the Council and the customer.
- To communicate with and advise people who may have limited knowledge or understanding of revenues issues some of whom may be confrontational, dissatisfied, angry or upset. To manage such situations in a firm, but tactful and respectful manner.
- To make decisions about and implement the appropriate form of recovery action in respect of customers who do not pay in accordance with relevant legislation and operational procedures.
- To provide high quality professional advice, guidance and support in respect of Council Tax and Business Rates to customers (taxpayers, ratepayers).
- To support the reviews of awards of discounts, disregards, reliefs and exemptions to maximise revenue due to the Council and identify and reduce incidences of fraud.
- Assist in the effective use of resources and identify improvements in processes in order to develop and improve the service. To ‘get it right first time’ and prevent avoidable contact and to reduce duplication of effort and other inefficient practices.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: £19.65 /hour